Of all the world’s religions, Satanism is probably the most misunderstood. For many, it’s the most reviled because its central tenets run counter to most forms of Christianity.
Because of this, most people don’t give Satanists the time of day and simply dismiss them as being evil crazies. However, parts of this belief system make sense.
Anton LaVey (pictured below) founded the modern Church of Satan that is the dominant Satanic organization today.
As a former circus performer, LaVey knew how to put on a show to deliver his message effectively. This led to LaVey giving many interviews about his beliefs before his death in 1997.
In these interviews, LaVey talks about why his version of Satanism is practically humanism. “No religion had been based on man’s carnal needs of his fleshly pursuits,” said LaVey in one interview. He goes on to say that all major religions are based on abstinence instead of indulgence. They are therefore rooted in fear.
With that as the underlying ideology, LaVey based his version of Satanism on enabling his followers to “do what felt good.” Satanists understand that a person has to be good to themselves before they can be good to others.
Out of these beliefs formed “The Nine Satanic Statements,” which make up Satanism’s core tenets.
Here’s what they say:
- Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!
- Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!
- Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!
- Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!
- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!
- Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!
- Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!
- Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!
- Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!
In these interviews, LaVey also talks about the common misconceptions that people have about Satanism. For example, human sacrifices. LaVey firmly states that Satanists do not sacrifice actual humans. However, they do occasionally hold symbolic human sacrifices.
For a sampling of some of LaVey’s thoughts, check out the video below.
(via Toxic Thrash Metal)
Well, I’m certainly intrigued enough to attend an info session. Honestly, I’m not a huge fan of religion, regardless of which deity is being worshipped.
Read more: http://www.viralnova.com/satanic-priest/